Coconut Oil, also known as miracle oil, is rich in vitamins and is becoming a source in medical practices. You’ve probably heard it makes your hair shiny and is great to cook with, but did you know it also has benefits for your teeth?
As it turns out, coconut oil kills the bacteria that cause gum disease and cavities. It even helps prevent periodontal disease and tooth decay.Research also shows coconut oil to also help your body absorb calcium and magnesium which aids in the development of strong teeth. On top of that, it’s been found to be a safe alternative to chemical additives.
Coconut oil is a powerful destroyer of various microbes, bacteria, and viruses that can be harmful to our health. When fatty coconut oil is broken down and enriched with enzymes it turns into acids which are toxic to certain bacteria. The toxin that plays a major role in tooth decay is Streptoccus bacteria. Well, coconut oil has a strong influence on preventing the growth of this bacteria, therefore decreasing chances of infection.
The good news is that coconut oil is light on your digestive system and won’t cause an insulin spike in your bloodstream. Tips on putting it to use include the following:
- Brush your teeth with coconut oil to take preventative measures against the risks of gum disease and tooth decay
- Combine melted coconut oil with baking soda 3 to 2 to create a paste
- Use warm water and brush in a circular motion
- Continue this process 2-3 times per week
- Extra tip: Avoid spitting down the drain, coconut oil tends to harden once it cools down
This simple use of coconut oil to enhance the health of your teeth can help avoid tooth decay and help the growth of strong teeth. For any questions about oral health, contact Wagner Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Specialists.